Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ayers Island Dam Tour

Last Monday for training with the station we got a tour of Ayers Island Dam on the Pemigewausset River in Bristol and New Hampton. It was really cool being able to walk through it. I wasn't able to get any photos while we were inside the tunnel because it was a little too dark, and I didn't want to risk getting the camera damp. But there was plenty to be taken outside. This first one is one of the waterways, I couldn't believe I was standing right over the water like that!

Here is a photo looking over the length of the dam.
Here is one of the turbines that power the electricity. This thing was so tall. I believe it was one of the originals, but I'm not sure.
On the other side of the dam waiting to go to the top. Those stairs were WAY too high for my liking, so I just took the trolley up the side of the hill.
Over the top of the dam looking over the "lake" in the river. Those lines out there are to help boaters if they become stranded until rescue arrives.
This had got to be one of the coolest things at the dam, an osprey nest. They have a webcam on the PSNH website so you can take a look at them. When we got there the parents were flying around yelling at us. I don't think they were happy we disturbed dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment